WBCS Preliminary 2021 Answer Key – English Version
1. The word ‘claustrophobia’ means
Ans. (C) fear of confined spaces
2. The past tense of rewind is
Ans. (C) rewound
3. The synonym of supercilious is
Ans. (D) haughty
4. Select the correct spelling :
Ans. (B) Accommodation
5. Choose the right word for love of oneself.
Ans. (C) Narcissism
6. To feel ‘under the weather’ means
Ans. (C) feel unwell
7. Fill in the blank with the suitable preposition :
He presided ______ the meeting.
Ans. (A) over
8. The idiomatic expression ‘make both ends meet’ means
Ans. (A) get by
9. Fill in the blank with the suitable option :
She _____ from the bus and walked to the back-gate.
Ans. (D) alighted
10. The expression ‘holier than thou’ means
Ans. (D) sanctimonious
11. Choose the right option :
While I ______ in the library, someone threw a ball through the window.
Ans. (A) was sitting
12. The serenity of the place overwhelmed me.
Replace the underlined word with a suitable word.
Ans. (B) Calmness
13. A place where bees are kept—
Ans. (D) Apiary
14. Fill in with a suitable preposition :
He is taller than you ____ two inches.
Ans. (D) by
15. Which is the correct sentence?
Ans. (B) A one-eyed person was seen roaming about the streets.
16. Convert the given sentence into an interrogative sentence :
I will meet you tomorrow.
Ans. (D) When will you meet me?
17. The word ‘officious’ means
Ans. (A) self-important
18. Add a suitable prefix to form the opposite of the word ‘capable’.
Ans. (D) Incapable
19. Select the correct answer to fill in the blank.
The ship, with its crew, _____ lost.
Ans. (B) was
20. The antonym of the word superficial is
Ans. (A) Deep
21. The word vicissitude means
Ans. (A) change
22. Fill in the blank with the right option :
He was offended _____ me unjustly.
Ans. (C) with
23. The antonym of the word weird is
Ans. (A) Normal
24. ‘La Gioconda’ (Mona Lisa) is ______ unique work of art.
Fill in the blank with the suitable article.
Ans. (C) a
25. The idiomatic expression, once in a blue moon, means
Ans. (A) rarely
26. The responsibility for printing currency notes in India lies in the hand of
Ans. (C) Reserve Bank of India
27. Who founded the Asiatic Society in Calcutta?
Ans. (C) William Jones
28. The Chief Justice of High Court is appointed by the
Ans. (B) President
29. A person on a swing stands up. The time period of the swing
Ans. (C) decreases
30. New Delhi, the new Capital of India was inaugurated by Lord Irwin in the year
Ans. (C) 1931
31. Who is the present Chief Election Commissioner of India (as of June, 2021)?
Ans. (B) Sushil Chandra
32. Which Sultan was not a slave before he ascended the throne?
Ans. (C) Alauddin Khilji
33. A battery consists of 10 cells, each of emf 1V. If 2 cells are wrongly connected, the emf of the battery becomes
Ans. (C) 6V
34. Who propagated the ‘safety valve theory’ and about which organization?
Ans. (A) A. O. Hume, about Indian National Congress
35. ‘Chipko Andolon’ is known as
Ans. (A) Feminist Movement
36. Who was the editor of the nationalist newspaper ‘Sandhya’?
Ans. (B) Bramhabandhab Upadhyay
37. In West Bengal, Export Processing Zone (EPZ) has started functioning at
Ans. (B) Falta
38. Siachen glacier is located in the following range :
Ans. (A) Karakoram
39. In terms of thermal conductivity (k) and electricalconductivity (d), diamond has
Ans. (B) high k and low d
40. Who wrote Ramcharitmanas?
Ans. (C) Tulsidas
41. Which Indian Nationalist Leader is known as ‘GrandOld Man of India’?
Ans. (D) Dadabhai Naoroji
42. Who among the following freedom fighters did not belong to revolutionary (militant) nationalism?
Ans. (C) Matangini Hazra
43. What was the Carlyle Circular and when was itissued in colonial India?
Ans. (D) A decree to prevent nationalist protests amongst students in educational institutions during the Partition of Bengal.
44. Gandhiji was influenced by
Ans. (A) Tolstoy
45. Joseph Robinette Biden Jr., the 46th President of the USA belongs to the political party named
Ans. (C) Democratic Party
46. According to the Census of India 2011, which one of the following Union Territories had the highest sex ratio?
Ans. (B) Puducherry
47. What proportion of the Insurance Premium payable for Swasthya-Sathi Scheme is borne by the State Government?
Ans. (C) 100%
48. The new station constructed and established by India in March, 2012 for scientific research in Antarctica is called
Ans. (B) Bharati
49. Which commodity tops the current list of imported commodity of India?
Ans. (D) Petrolium crudes
50. Which was the first incident of a British official’s assassination after the revolt of 1857?
Ans. (A) Assassination of British official W. C. Rand by Chapekar Brothers
51. The Election Commission is constructed by the
Ans. (C) President
52. A heavy body and a light body have equal kinetic energy. Then
Ans. (A) heavy body has greater momentum.
53. Pure silicon at 0 K is
Ans. (C) insulator
54. The solar cooker works on the same principle as
Ans. (C) Greenhouse
55. Mansab means
Ans. (A) A rank or office
56. A boat floating in a tank is carrying some passengers. If the passengers drink water from the tank, how will it affect the water level of the tank?
Ans. (D) It will remain same.
57. Who said, “An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind”?
Ans. (B) M. K. Gandhi
58. The Hindi film ‘Padman’ released in 2018 was inspired by the true life story of
Ans. (A) Arunachalam Muruganantham
59. In the Constitution of India, ‘Protection of Life and Personal Liberty’ is guaranteed under Article No.
Ans. (A) 21
60. How many new Government Medical Colleges have become functional in West Bengal during the last ten years?
Ans. (B) 6
61. Judges of Supreme Court retire at the age of
Ans. (C) 65 years
62. When was the First Industrial Policy resolution taken?
Ans. (C) 1948
63. The highest peak of the Eastern Ghats is
Ans. (C) Jindhagada
64. If the length of the filament of a heater is reduced by 10%, the power of the heater will
Ans. (B) increase by about 11%
65. Which animal was part of the symbol of Netaji’s INA Flag?
Ans. (C) Tiger
66. Which is the Direct Tax in India?
Ans. (C) Wealth Tax
67. Ratio of the rms speed and the most probable speed for molecules in an ideal gas is
Ans. (C) root 3 : root 2
68. Researchers has discovered recently antibody of which virus in bats from Mahabalaswar cave?
Ans. (A) Nipah
69. Largest wind farm of India is located in
Ans. (A) Tamil Nadu
70. Which Medieval ruler introduced Ain-i-Dahsala?
Ans. (D) Akbar
71. Who coined the slogan ‘Swaraj is my birth right’?
Ans. (C) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
72. Ibn Batuta came to India during which rulers’ reign?
Ans. (C) Muhammad Bin Tughlaq
73. A pendulum clock that keeps correct time on the earth, is taken to moon. It will then run
Ans. (D) √6 times slower.
74. Who among the following cricketers won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, 2020?
Ans. (D) Rohit Sharma
75. Government of India passed the Act to protect the human rights in the year
Ans. (B) 1993
76. Punarbhava and Atrai are the distributaries of the following river :
Ans. (B) Teesta
77. Who was the hero of Rampa Rebellion of 1922-24?
Ans. (D) Alluri Sitha Rama Raju
78. What was the major symbol of Mahatma Gandhi during his non-violent freedom struggle?
Ans. (B) His charka (spinning wheel)
79. Neeti Ayog was formed on
Ans. (A) January 1, 2015
80. Sabooj-Sathi is a scheme for distribution of Bicycles to students of Government/Government Aided Schools/Madrasahs reading in
Ans. (D) Classes IX to XII
81. The largest glacier of India is
Ans. (C) Siachen
82. NRC is now in form of a
Ans. (C ) Act
83. Who is the author of Allahabad Pillar Inscription?
Ans. (B) Harisena
84. Dry ice means
Ans. (D) Solid CO2
85. What is the maximum Government Subsidy that can be availed by a beneficiary under the Gatidhara Scheme?
Ans. (B) Rs. 1,00,000
86. Article 18 of the Indian Constitution guarantees the right to
Ans. (A) Equality
87. Khajuraho, ‘the City of the Gods’ a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the name of which was first referred in the 11th century CE by
Ans. (C) Abu Rihan Alberuni
88. Who wrote Amuktamalyada?
Ans. (D) Krishnadeva Raya
89. The boundary line of Sundarban was demarcated by
Ans. (D) Dampier and Hodges
90. The Nayankara system is associated with
Ans. (D) The Vijayanagara Empire
91. Who has been named the captain of the Indian Men’s Hockey Team for the Tokyo Olympics?
Ans. (A) Manpreet Singh
92. The Valley of Kashmir is located in between the following ranges :
Ans. (A) Zaskar and Pir Panjal
93. ‘Dandi March’ had inaugurated which movement?
Ans. (C) Civil Disobedience Movement
94. The largest IT company in India is (as of June, 2021)
Ans. (C) TCS
95. Which Bengal poet composed the song ‘Ban eshechhe mora gange’ during the Partition of Bengal?
Ans. (D) Mukunda Das
96. The leader of the Narmada Bachao Andolon is
Ans. (B) Medha Patker
97. Who was known as the ‘Sher-i-Bangal’?
Ans. (A) Fazlul Haque
98. Which part of the world was the agenda of Khilafat movement involved with?
Ans. (D) Turkey
99. What was the original name of Titumir?
Ans. (B) Syed Mir Nasar Ali
100. Which of the following is not a unit of distance?
Ans. (D) Jiffy
101. The Asiad Gold Medalist Boxer passed away recently at the age of 42. Who is he/she?
Ans. (B) Dingko Singh
102. Pakistan Resolution was taken on
Ans. (D) 23rd March 1940
103. The Subaltern School of historiography was spearheaded by
Ans. (B) Ranajit Guha
104. Dubbed as the Dakshina Ganga (Ganges of the South), the largest river of South India is
Ans. (A) the Godavari
105. Who won the French Open in 2021?
Ans. (D) Novak Djokovic
106. India is a
Ans. (A) Union of states
107. Which Muslim general conquered Bengal in the thirteenth century?
Ans. (B) Iqtiaruddin Bin Baktiar Khilji
108. The binary equivalent of decimal number 4.625 is
Ans. (C) 100.101
109. What is the limit of the Annual turnover for small enterprises?
Ans. Correct answer is absent. Correct answer is not more than 50 crore (w.e.f. July 2020)
110. What was the ‘Eka Movement’?
Ans. (B) A Peasant movement
111. ‘Perseverance’ over was successfully landed by NASA on the surface of
Ans. (B) the Mars
112. Which Turkish Sultan introduced the Iqta system?
Ans. (C) Iltutmish
113. Vikramsila Bihara was founded by
Ans. (B) Dharmapala
114. Which among the following novels of Sarat Chandra
vividly reflected the revolutionary movement of
Ans. (B) Pather Dabi
115. The following river divides West Bengal and Assam:
Ans. (B) Sankosh
116. The following state is the highest producer of tin in
Ans. (D) Chhattisgarh
117. Which revolutionary leader made ‘mercy petitions’
Ans. (A) V. D. Savarkar
118. Whom among the following historians does not
belong to the Aligarh School?
Ans. (A) Anil Seal
119. Which one of the following sequence of the
Himalayan ranges from south to north is correct?
Ans. (D) Pir Panjal-Zaskar-Ladakh-Karakoram
120. The recently much talked about ‘toolkit’ is basically
Ans. (C) a digital equivalent of pamphlets and fliers
that helped mobilise protesters.
121. ‘Letters from Burma’ is a book of essays penned by
Ans. (A) Aung San Suu Kyi
122. Family Income Ceiling for Kanyashree Scheme is not
Ans. (D) All of the above
123. When did Sakabda commence?
Ans. (A) 78 A.D.
124. The names of Sidho and Kanho are associated with
Ans. (C) Santhal rebellion
125. Inter-state council is formed by the
Ans. (D) President
126. The ratio of the diameters of moon and earth is nearly
Ans. (C) 1 : 4
127. Sharavati Hydroelectric Project is located in:
Ans. (B) Karnataka
128. Started in June, 2014 by the Union Government of
India, the ‘Namami Gange’ Programme is associated
Ans. (D) National Mission for Clean Ganga
129. Who was the Chief Guest of Republic Day, 2021 in
Ans. (D) None of them
130. A vehicle covers half the distance wih uniform speed
v1 and the other half with uniform speed v2. The
average speed of the vehicle is
131. Who was the Governor General of India when Gandhiji
initiated Civil Disobedience Movement?
Ans. (D) Lord Irwin
132. The spectrum of color in Compact Disc (CD) is due
Ans. (C) Diffraction
133. The Partition of Bengal was annulled in
Ans. (B) 1911
134. When was the University of Calcutta established?
Ans. (D) 1857
135. The power of a lens is +2.0D. The focal length of the
lens and its nature are
Ans. (B) 50 cm, convex
136. The Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 was awarded to
Ans. (A) Louise GlÜck
137. The freezing chest in refrigerator is kept near the
Ans. (D) convection currents are set up.
138. A spring of spring constant k is cut into two equal
halves. The spring constant of each half is now
Ans. (C) 2k
139. The velocity ratio of the hour hand and minute hand
of a clock is
Ans. (A) 1 : 12
140. _______ is called as ‘‘His Superfluous Highness’’.
Ans. (B) Vice-President
141. In India, topographical map is published from the
following organization :
Ans. (C) SOI
142. Sandhyakar Nandi was the court poet of the
Ans. (D) Palas
143. President of India is elected by
Ans. (D) Both the Houses of Parliament along with the
Members of the State Assemblies.
144. The following coastal area of India was affected by
Ans. (C) Andhra coast
145. Kurnool-Kudapa Canal is taken off from the following
Ans. (D) Tungabhadra
146. According to WHO, the official name of the virus
responsible for Covid-19 disease is
Ans. (A) SARS-CoV-2
147. The confluence of Bhagirathi and Alakananda is
Ans. (B) Devprayag
148. Under which amendment of the Indian Constitution
the voting age reduced to 18 from 21?
Ans. (C) 61st
149. Central Rice Research Institute is located in
Ans. (A) Cuttack
150. The waves produced by motor boat sailing on water
Ans. (C) longitudinal and transverse
151. Who wrote ‘Poverty and Unbritish Rule in India’?
Ans. (B) Dadabhai Naoroji
152. Mukutmanipur Dam is located across the following
Ans. (D) Kangsabati
153. Who had designed the first Indian National Flag?
Ans. (A) Vicoji Rustam Kama
154. Badland topography is an important characteristic of
the following region :
Ans. (D) Chambal Valley
155. Who was the Mughal emperor during the Revolt of
Ans. (C) Bahadur Shah II
156. Solder used for joining metal parts together is an
Ans. (D) Sn and Pb
157. Who wrote the drama Neeldarpan?
Ans. (D) Dinabandhu Mitra
158. Dilatometer is used for the measurement of
Ans. (C) dimensional change in material
159. Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize is awarded in the
Ans. (B) Science and Technology
160. The Sundarban is declared as ‘Ramsar site’ in
Ans. (D) 2019
161. The variability of rainfall during August in India
would be more pronounced generally at
Ans. (C) Jodhpur
162. Bengal Revolutionaries were largely inspired by
which Revolutionary movements of Great Britain?
Ans. (B) Irish
163. To which following movement is the term ‘ulgulan’
Ans. (A) Munda uprising
164. Inflation is
Ans. (D) continuous increase in price level.
165. Who is the custodian of the Indian Constitution?
Ans. (D) Supreme Court
166. Who was involved with the ‘India Independence
Ans. (D) Rashbihari Bose
167. Article 21 of the Indian Constitution ensues
Ans. (C) Right to Life and Personal Liberty
168. Name of the super cyclone ‘Yaas’ , was given by
Ans. (B) Oman
169. Mica producing district of West Bengal is
Ans. (D) Purulia
170. Hydraulic press is based on
Ans. (B) Pascal’s law
171. Khutba was
Ans. (A) a sermon read in the name of the ruler at
172. Although the final match between England and New
Zealand was a tie, England won the 2019 ICC World
CUP. The reason was
Ans. (B) England won Super Over by boundaries.
173. Money Bill is finally determined by
Ans. (B) Speaker
174. The chopping of an onion makes one cry because
of the chemical containing
Ans. (A) Sulphur
175. Members of the Public Accounts Committee are
Ans. (C) The members of the both Houses of Parliament
through the method of proportional representation
by single transferable vote.
176. What is the missing number?
1, 2, 10, 47, 37, 101, __?___
Ans. (B) 226
177. Today is Monday, after 61 days it will be
Ans. (B) Saturday
178. The ratio of 6 inch to 4 feet will be
Ans. (D) 1 : 8
179. Exclusive Proposition : Which is the correct option?
Many smokers get cancer.
Ans. (C) Smoking may lead to cancer.
180. ‘School’ is related to ‘Student’ in the same way as
‘Hospital’ is related to ______.
Ans. (D) Patient
181. Should seniority be the only criterion for the
Argument : 1. No : It would be an injustice to those
juniors who are deserving and
suitable for promotion than
2. Yes : Otherwise senior employees
may feel humiliated.
3. Yes : Senior employees are more
experienced and must be
rewarded for the same.
Ans. (A) Only ‘1’ is strong.
182. Manoj can type 100 pages of a report in 10 hours
and Bobby can do the same in 15 hours. They
worked together for 5 hours. The remaining work
was completed by Lucy in 2 hrs. If they received
Rs. 2,400 for whole work, Lucy got
Ans. (D) Rs. 400
183. Pointing to a gentleman, Somenath said “His only
brother is the father of my daughter’s father”. How
is the gentleman related to Somenath?
Ans. (B) Uncle
184. A train is 150 m long. It is running at a speed of
41 kmph. A man is running at 11 kmph in the same
direction as the train. In what time will it pass the
Ans. (A) 18 seconds
185. ‘DUMA’ is related to ‘Russia’ in the same way as
‘ECCLESIA’ is related to ________.
Ans. (C) Greece
186. Exclusive Proposition : Which is the correct option?
If a person is rich, he has lot of influence
Ans. (C) Tapas is rich and so he has a lot of influence.
187. Given set (7, 77, 140) then follows
Ans. (B) (6, 66, 120)
188. A building which is 64 feet high cast a shadow of
length 96 feet. The height of telephone tower, which
cast a shadow of length 180 feet, under similar
Ans. (C) 120 feet
189. Mohan takes 6 hours to do job. Laltu takes 10 hours
to do the same job. How long should it take if Mohan
and Laltu work together the same job?
Ans. (B) 3 43 hrs.
190. Today is Thursday, the day after 59 days will be
Ans. (A) Sunday
191. What is the missing number?
32, 19, 8, ___?___
Ans. (D) 1
192. 480 students out of 1500 are enrolled in NCC. What
percentage of students are not there in NCC?
Ans. (B) 68%
193. A ladder is kept against a wall. The top of the
ladder touches the wall at a height of 270 cm from
the ground. The base of the ladder is 54 cm away
from the wall on the ground. Find the length of the
Ans. (C) 75816 cm.
194. Naseer started from ‘X’ point and walked straight 5
kms west, then turned left and walked straight 3 kms
and again turned left and walked straight 7 kms. In
which direction is he from point ‘X’?
Ans. (A) South-East
195. How many times do the hands of a clock coincide
in a day?
Ans. (D) 22
196. Should the number of holidays of government
employees be reduced?
Argument : 1. Yes : Our government employees are
having the maximum number
of holidays among countries
of the world.
2. Yes : It is a sign of British legacy
which should be carried
3. Yes : It will speed up work and all
pending jobs can be completed
well in time.
4. No : Employees must be given
ample spare time to spend
Note: Only 3 is strong. But there is no such option.
197. Given set (8, 3, 2) then follows
Ans. (C) (63, 8, 3)
198. Choose the word in the option that is farthest in
meaning to the capitalised word.
Ans. (B) UNATTRACTIVE
199. Pointing towards a girl in the picture, Meghna said,
“She is mother of ‘Jhuma’, whose father is my son”.
How is ‘Meghna’ related to the girl in the picture?
Note: According to English version, the answer is
Mother-in-Law which is not in option, but
according to Bengali version, the answer is Grand
Mother that is in option (D).
200. Exclusive Proposition : Which is the correct option?
All students are not genius.
Ans. (B) Many students are not genius.